March 8, 2013

Shrine of Lakshmi


Olivia Robertson writes in "Sophia":  I offer this incense to Thee, Lakshmi, Goddess of the Cow, who produced the turning Universe from the churning of Thy Sea of Milk! Yet Thou canst appear as any of Thy children, disguised Avatar. 'And the pilgrim asked in his wanderings: whence doth that wind blow, the sweetest-scented I ever inhaled? And it seemed to him as if his own conscience were advancing to him in that wind, in the shape of a maiden fair, bright, white-armed, strong, tall-formed, beautiful of body, noble, of a glorious seed, of the size of a maiden in her fifteenth year, as fair as the fairest things in the world. And the soul of the faithful one addressed her, asking: ‘What maid are thou, who are the fairest maid I have seen?’ And she answered him: ‘Oh youth, of good thoughts, good words, and good deeds, of good religion! I am Thine own conscience. I was lovely, and thou madest me lovelier; I was fair, and thou madest me still fairer; I was desirable, and thou madest me still more desirable. I was sitting in a forward place, and thou madest me sit in the foremost place, through good thought, good speech, and through the good deeds of thine.’"
 
From the "Guide to Clonegal Castle" by Lawrence Durdin-Robertson:  "The South angle of the temple leads into the Hindu chapel, on the N.W. wall just inside the door is a picture of Lakshmi, Goddess of wealth or prosperity (Shree), with the Elephant God Gayanana on one side of her. At the far side of her is an Indian picture of Shiva and Parvati, the Third Persons of the Hindu Trinity."

(Photo by Minette Quick, all rights reserved.)

Fellowship of Isis Homepage Archive:  http://www.fellowshipofisis.com